- 12 October 2019. Seismic Salad: Fresh Food After “The Big One.” A major earthquake in the Bay Area will interrupt the food supply by damaging transportation infrastructure and the electrical grid (no refrigeration). Grocery stores could empty rapidly, and your earthquake emergency kit may quickly be exhausted.
Fortunately, there is a ready supply of fresh, nutritious, delicious produce in your neighborhood: wild and feral edible plants.
Foraging won’t meet all your dietary needs, but it can extend your emergency supplies and make them more palatable and nutritious. That canned tuna in your bug-out bag will be much more appetizing mixed with chopped wild onions and purple sage, on a bed of wild mustard and chickweed.
On this one-hour (gentle) walk, you will learn to identify a number of delicious, nutritious wild foods that grow in virtually every Bay Area neighborhood.
This guided walking tour will start at the Community Emergency Prep Fair taking place on Saturday, October 12 from 10 am – 3 pm in James Kenney Park, Berkeley. We will gather at noon near the entrance to the Fair (Look for signs reading “Urban Foraging Walk at Noon – Meet Here”), and walk from there. Tickets are free, but space is limited.
- 5/24/2019–5/31/2019. 5th Wild/Feral Food Week!
- 5/17/2019–5/19/2019. 2nd Health from the Soil Up Learning Lab
- 5/18/2018–5/27/2018. 4th Wild/Feral Food Week!
- 9/16/17, noon-1:30pm. Foraging walk in North Berkeley with FoodInno
- 4/16/2017–4/22/2017: 3rd Annual Wild/Feral Food Week.
Restaurants and Events;
Farms, Foragers, & Suppliers
This week will include an edible plant identification walk with the Berkeley Path Wanderers Association on 4/22. There are 22 innovative restaurants in four states and two countries at a variety of price points, and numerous growers, foragers, and other suppliers.
- 4/22/2017 Where the Wild Things Grow, wild/feral plant identification walk with the Berkeley Path Wanderers Association. Meet at Codornices Park, 10am, for a 3-mile hilly walk to see what wild and feral foods are volunteering abundantly in Berkeley.
- 3/9/2017: Edible Weeds Tour of South Hayward, 2–4pm, Hayward Seed Lending Library, Hayward, CA
- 4/17/2016–4/23/2016: 2nd Annual Wild & Feral Food Week in Berkeley, San Francisco, and Sonoma County. This week will include an edible plant identification walk on the UC Berkeley Campus on 4/22 (12pm at the Campanile) and events at The Perennial (4/18), Chez Panisse (4/19), sweetgreen (4/20), Backyard (4/21), brown’s cafe (4/22), and Mission Heirloom (4/23), with menus that feature local wild and feral foods.
- 5/9/2015: WILD Oakland event, Edible Weeds in Oakland, 12–2pm. http://wildoakland.org/event/edible-weeds/?instance_id=384 Report: http://wildoakland.org/2015/05/edible-urban-weeds-oaklands-sidewalk-salads/
- 4/11/2015: Edible weed identification in the Peralta Community Garden, https://communitygarden.org/find-a-garden/gardens/peralta-community-garden/
- 4/4/2015–4/10/2015: Wild Food Week in Berkeley and San Francisco. This week will include an edible plant identification walk with the Berkeley Path Wanderers Association, Where the Wild Things Grow and special events at Cesar (4/4), Mission Chinese + The Perennial (4/8), Chez Panisse (4/9), and Mission Heirloom (4/10), with menus that feature local wild and feral foods.